COVID-19 brings forth a new wave of digital transformation. COVID-19 has fundamentally changed many industries. Many industries are going through digital transformations.
Let's take a look at the growth in digital transformation spending* for 2020:
- Distribution and Services: +18.6%
- Financial: +19.9%
- Infrastructure: +14.8%
- Manufacturing and Resources: +15.7%
- Public Sector: +18.1%
Digital transformation is the integration of digital technology into all areas of a business. It will fundamentally change how the business operates and deliver value to customers.
This new wave of digital transformation creates unprecedented demands for software developers and talents in information technology.
Things like web applications, databases, and automation require software development skills. There are more than 140,000 software developer job openings on LinkedIn in the United States alone.
What are the 3 main areas of digital transformation?
- customer experience – automation makes user experience consistent and delightful
- operational efficiency – automation helps integrate different operational tasks seamlessly without any human input, thus improving the business's profit margins
- workforce mobility – the team can work from anywhere, anytime flexibility, allowing the business to access talents globally
The push for accelerating digital transformation is a global phenomenon. All businesses are feeling the pressure and benefit of digital transformation. As a knowledge worker, you can catch this wave by knowing how to code and being good at problem-solving.
* Published by IDC